#38in38
Each year I create a list of things to do based on the age I am. This annual list began several years ago, after my grandpa passed away. I wanted to live life rather than life live me. Some of the items are easy to do and some have taken a lot of effort and planning. Here is my list from year 38! When I create my list each year, I usually have an idea of where I want to go and I add those items to my list. I also have a flex +- list. Things I can add and remove. This is the first year I have completed my list. I am extremely proud of it!
Visit 2 new states. Originally, I wanted to visit two new states but I ended up crossing 5 off my list. Each trip was special and here is why.
California- I went to San Francisco during year 38 and checked California off my list. It was originally planned in 2020 but we all know what happened then. It was great because I got to the bay, see Sea Lions bathe in the sun, and ate some delicious seafood!
Utah- This trip was a little spontaneous and started off with a weekend free and a text from a friend that said, do you trust me. They ended booking us tickets to UT. I hiked a different mountain terrain than what I was used to on the East Coast. My travel partner was awesome too. We hiked Angel’s Landing. I got to what I thought was the top and thought we were done. They pushed me all the way to the top. This is probably the most dangerous trail I have ever hiked. They hiked behind me on the way up and in front of me on the way down. If I would have fallen it would have been right on them instead of off the side of the mountain!
Nebraska- I decided to travel to Nebraska over Memorial Day weekend. It’s a quick 6 hour car ride and my mom joined me. Not much to see there but I did meet a friendly little baby squirrel on the trails. It took everything in me to not take the baby squirrel home as a pet!
Arizona- was my next adventure and I did it by myself. It was the best! I hiked and kayaked my way through and saw some epic views. A friend showed me pictures of Horseshoe Bend, which I fell in love with immediately and knew I needed to see it, and Antelope Canyon. EPIC VIEWS!!!
New Mexico- Lastly, I traveled to New Mexico with a good friend from college. We rented a car and road tripped across the state!
Hike Yosemite- A winter storm was rolling in and it rained all day. I was soaked! I will go back to hike Half Dome, one day!
John Muir National Park
Sonoma Wine tour- I am a white wine kind of girl!
Golden Gate Bridge
Trolley Ride in San Francisco- This was so much fun!
Hike Angel’s Landing- EPIC trail. This was by far my favorite hike of the year!
Hike Bryce Canyon- This hike came in a close second!
Grand Canyon- I did a sunrise hike at 5am. It was 3 degree temps so I had to hike before it got really hot! I was off the trail by 10am.
Saguaro, Tucson AZ- I didn’t hike much here as they had warnings for rattlesnakes and it 100% freaked me out!
Cathedral Rock, AZ- This hike was absolutely amazing!
Forest Bathing- I did this in the North Shore at Gunflint Lodge. It’s a way to reconnect with nature! I ate pine needles as part of the experience.I highly recommend it.
Hike to magnetic rock
Get a new Job- I got a job working at the U of Minnesota! I am back in higher ed!
Hike Paul Bunyan Trail- I believe this is the longest paved trail in MN.
Kayak Apostle Island- The views are better in person!
Stomp Grapes
Hike the highest point in MN, Eagle’s Mountain
See frozen waterfalls- Minnehaha Falls
Solo trip- I went to AZ!
Horseshoe Bend- Just a picture spot but it’s beautiful!
Antelope Canyon- This was absolutely gorgeous!
Devils Bridge- A little scary but worth the trek up the mountain!
Kayak mangroves- Sarasota, FL
See a manatee- I saw one but didn’t get a picture!
Buy a kayak- Black Friday deals, baby!!!
Carlsbad Cavern- The pictures don’t do this place justice!
Shiprock- We off roaded and did a mini photo shoot!
Hot Springs- Jemez Springs, NM- This was so fun! I think we made the springs a little hotter!
Rosewell- We were passing by so we had to stop!
4 corners- NM, UT, AZ, and CO
Sled in white Sands National Park- Walking up sand like this is so hard but it’s worth it.
Walk the Catwalk- This is a trail on the side of the mountain!
El Mapias- This is the overlook. The tubes we were going to hike were closed for the season.
Hike in Albuquerque- Sandia Peak- Took a tram ride to the top and hiked a bit!
Get a tattoo with my mom’s handwriting- These are lyrics from one of my favorite worship songs, So Will I by Hillsong. A few months before this, I had my mom write it down. I took a spontaneous trip to the North Shore to hike Eagle’s Mountain. I called up a friend from college and she was getting one at a pop up tattoo shop so I said, why not and I did it. I love it and my mom was so surprised!
Play 100 games of softball- The only thing consistent in the 100 games is my love for it!
Try fat biking- A friend took me on a trail to bike. I tried his fat bike out but it was too heavy for me! I traded it in for his mountain bike! This was one of my favorite days!
Year 38 was full of ups and downs but I am so grateful to have the opportunity to do what I love and the person I have become because of these experiences! Here’s to #39in39 and to loving life and joyously living each day to it's ultimate good!

Comments
Post a Comment