Ice(land), Ice(land) Baby!




Discovering Iceland: A Journey of Wonder, Laughter, and a Few Frozen Toes

Iceland is beyond stunning. When I returned from my Icelandic adventure, I found myself struggling

to describe it. “It was good,” I’d say, which hardly does justice to a place that feels like stepping into

another world. My hope is that this story helps capture the magic of Iceland and inspires you to

experience it yourself.

There’s so much to see in Iceland, and every season brings its own unique charm. I traveled in early

December, which gave us the rare opportunity to explore waterfalls up close, something summer’s

high waters wouldn’t allow. On the flip side, Northern Iceland remained unexplored due to time

constraints. Honestly, I could’ve stayed forever.

Our journey started with a direct flight on Icelandair from Minneapolis-St. Paul (MSP) to Keflavik.

After landing at 6:30 a.m., we picked up our rental SUV and headed to breakfast at a cozy local bakery,

Brauð & Co. Fueled up, we killed time before our Sky Lagoon reservation by checking into our hotel.

We stayed at the Hotel Viking in Hafnarfjordur, outside Reykjavik. Our little cottage was rustic perfection,

complete with bunk beds, a loft, and heated bathroom floors, a detail that quickly became the running

joke of the trip.

The Sky Lagoon Experience
Sky Lagoon was pure magic. With the “Pure Package,” we indulged in a 7-step ritual: lagoon soak,

glacier pool dip, sauna, mist walk, cleansing scrub, steam room, and shower. The glacier pool? Freezing

at 10°C (50°F). My brother sat in it for a minute, so my competitive side demanded I endure two.

(Spoiler: I survived.)

The lagoon’s views, warm water, and spa-like amenities made it unforgettable. Fun fact: we’d originally

planned to visit the Blue Lagoon, but a nearby potential volcanic eruption altered our plans. No

complaints here. The Sky Lagoon was incredible!

Reykjavik and Beyond
After the lagoon, we explored Reykjavik, visiting the iconic Hallgrimskirkja and trying fermented

shark at Café Loki. The shark? Surprisingly decent. The accompanying shot of Brennivín? Not so much.

Dinner that night didn’t live up to Iceland’s culinary reputation. Lesson learned: skip the burgers and

stick to local cuisine. Exhausted after 36 hours awake, we crashed early. Jet lag woke me later, just in

time for a text from Minnesota about the Northern Lights. Cue a midnight road trip to Thingvellir

National Park, where we spotted faint but beautiful auroras.

The Golden Circle and More Adventures
Day two was all about the Golden Circle. Highlights included Thingvellir National Park, the Geysir

geothermal area, and Gullfoss waterfall. We also visited Kerid Crater Lake, a collapsed volcano that’s

as stunning as it sounds. Afterward, we warmed up at the Hafnarfjordur Christmas Market and enjoyed a

local meal at RIF. Chasing waterfalls became a theme. Gljúfrafoss was a hidden gem, accessible through

a cave, while Skogafoss required climbing 527 steps for breathtaking views. We also marveled at

Solheimajokull Glacier’s massive, blue-tinted ice and caught the sunset at Dyrhólaey.

Black Sand Beaches and Ice Caves
In Vik, we visited the famous Black Sand Beach and met a curious harbor seal that playfully followed

us. Later, we explored Fjadrargljufur Canyon and hiked to Svartifoss waterfall. The highlight?

A guided tour of the Crystal Ice Caves, where I learned about centuries-old glacial formations and

accidentally fell into a stream. Oops. I blame it on my brother since he didn’t telephone the message back!

Diamond Beach was equally mesmerizing, with chunks of ice glittering like gems on the shore. Rain

at Reynisfjara beach only enhanced the dramatic atmosphere.

A Birthday to Remember
Turning 40 in Iceland was unforgettable. I snorkeled between the North American and Eurasian tectonic

plates in 34°F water. An Adventure Vikings tour that was equal parts freezing and exhilarating. Later,

I celebrated with an Icelandic hot dog (toppings and all), a tattoo that reads “ævintýri” (adventure), and

a cozy dinner at Krydd.

Final Thoughts
Iceland stole my heart. The people, the landscapes, and the experiences were beyond anything I

could’ve imagined. Whether it was laughing with my travel companions, chasing the Northern Lights,

or simply soaking in the moment, this trip was one for the books.

So, if anyone asks, how was Iceland? It wasn’t just good. It was life-changing.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Than a Season

Why I Started Adventure Traveling

Yellow Days: How to Feel Warm, Sunny, and Alive