What I learned from the guy I wasn’t with?




I hope you aren’t reading this to get some dating advice because I don’t have any to give but I will be writing a blog on being in your 30’s and single soon! That should be fun but I want to write about the guy I was never with and what I learned from him.

As I write this blog, I am binge watching Indian Matchmaking. One of the women seeking a match, Rashi, describes how she compares herself to other people. Why didn’t I get married, why didn’t I get…etc. She continued to say that vulnerability is scary but it’s necessary to have because it makes you open to other people which is hard. Being open and vulnerable is hard because it makes you prone to feeling emotions that you don’t want to but c’est la vie. That is life. You can’t just be stuck.

I am not saying I need a matchmaker but I probably wouldn’t turn it down! So, if anyone knows someone, let me know.  I have three things that I pray my future partner will encompass. 1. Have a relationship with Christ. 2. Be happy. And 3. Be a family man. I have had a hard time because my head and heart are in a battle. I have dated in the past but it hasn’t been successful. I am not sure about all my single gal pals out there but I usually get the; why are you single, you are beautiful. I would date you if I was a guy. You have so many great qualities, I am sure there is someone out there for you. You know what? Maybe there is but like Rashi said, c’est la vie. I don’t want to be stuck, anymore.

In college, I had a really good guy friend. We hung out all the time. Some of my sorority sisters thought we were together. When we would go out, he would never be too far away from me. To be honest, none of the guys we hung out with were ever too far away from us. They were our personal body guards. Any creeper that would try to dance up on us at a club, they would make a barrier or, my favorite memory, was when another friend just stood up, we had a regular table outside of the DJ booth, and just crossed his hands over his chest, like a bad ass friend that would do anything to protect you. It wasn’t until after my friend and I both graduated from college that he told me he had feelings from me. I remember I was doing work on the computer and I just set the computer down and was like, WTF? Why didn’t you tell me before? He was living in another state and I was still in MN.

Let’s fast forward a few years to a colleague of mine that went rouge on me. He was a nice guy. Super attractive but also super clingy, for me at least. I was new to NC and we met at a football game 2 weeks after I started my new job. He called and texted a lot. Thinking about it now, I start to feel suffocated. He was very insecure in his feelings. He texted me Happy New Years while we were at the same party sitting on the same couch. It makes me laugh now and is my gal pal’s favorite story to tell about this guy! We were both at the same wedding a few years ago, separately. He kept touching my knee and was so nice so I thought maybe we could try it again. He told me about his recent relationships and I told him about mind. I even told him about how I grandma kissed someone (more on that below) and he texted me that he was disappointed that he didn’t even get a grandma kiss. He went rouge on me when I was talking about crucibles. He messaged me about it and was incredible disrespectful and mean. We just didn’t click. I unfriended him because I needed to remove that negativity out of my life. I still see him around and we chat casually, but that’s it.

The guy I grandma kissed… alright here we go. I met this guy through work. We both worked in the same field. I had a few drinks in me one night at a conference, let’s call it liquid courage, and I gave him my number on the back of some guys business card. We made small chat for a while and decided to go out. We met up and the date went fine. As we were leaving the restaurant and he held the door for me. What a nice guy right? As soon as I got out the door, I turned around and he planted a kiss on me. I wasn’t prepared so I grandma kissed him. What’s a grandma kiss? When you kiss on the lips, then move to the cheek and hug at the end. It’s the way I usually kissed my grandparents goodbye. I was mortified but I also find myself super funny so I text him later and I apologized for the grandma kiss and we joked about trying it again. Fast forward a few weeks, we never really talked again but I ended up working with him professionally. He found out that I was going to be at the same conference as he was and he texted me, “hey want to hook up?” I didn’t respond and then he said he “accidentally” sent it. I didn’t meet up with him at the conference and now we don’t communicate at all.

Now let me tell you about a different guy. He’s kind, genuine, funny, and doesn’t really like cats. I was not expecting this guy, at all. I didn’t even know I had feelings for him until I was at a meeting and he moved to the row in front of me and I couldn’t make eye contact. The feelings were definitely confirmed when I walked into a room once and he was at the front of and I couldn’t breathe. I was like dang it. I like him. He wore dad sneakers, faded stone washed jeans, and sweat pant shorts but he made me feel good about myself and he always listened. When he would message me, I would lose concentration and my hands and feet would start to sweat. I told him how I felt, via email. I am so cool! I never hid my feelings after that but I wasn’t always upfront with them and when I was, I got the response of you should be able to have what you want, get married and have kids. Shoot, I don’t know if I even want those things. Maybe I do. Maybe I don’t but that shouldn’t be why we should try this out. So many people thought we were together. My boss’ husband even asked me and I barely knew him. Before I moved for another job, my grandmother died, more on that in another blog, and my friend was driving me to the airport so I could go home. She asked me how I would feel if before I left, he said something about “us”. I said I would like it but probably get mad. Sure enough, we went out to lunch and he said, I want to talk about us. In my mind, I was like there is no us and it wasn’t because of me. He said, I think I made a mistake. I just wasn’t ready. In my mind I was screaming “WHAT???? I am about to move and you say this, but out of my mouth came, things happen for a reason. My guard was back up. I couldn’t do this. A few months later, I was back in town visiting friends. While I was back, I probably spent more time with him than the friends I had come to see. Talking with him was so easy and 5 hours felt like 5 minutes. There is a lot more to this situation that may or may not be in a future blog post so I am going to move on and wrap this post up.

Here is what I learned from the guy that I was never with:

Sometimes it is the right person but wrong time or the wrong person at the right time.

No one is worth changing who you are.

You are better then the games, the what ifs, and the maybes

Be confident in yourself

Put the good vibes out in the universe

Don’t hold back.

Be honest and authentic with how you feel

Believe

Be vulnerable

And lastly…

Love yourself.

Self-love is so important!

Stay blessed and smile!

 

 Jodi





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Than a Season

Why I Started Adventure Traveling

Yellow Days: How to Feel Warm, Sunny, and Alive