Surf, Sunsets, and Pure Vida: A Solo Costa Rica Road Trip Adventure
7-Day Solo Costa Rica Road Trip
Day 1: From MSP to Paradise (Eventually)
The adventure began with an early flight from Minneapolis to Liberia, Costa Rica. Landing in paradise was exciting until I got to the dreaded security and customs lines. It took nearly an hour, and by the time I was through, my luggage was patiently waiting like it had aged a year in airport time.
Next up was navigating the rental car process. I hopped a shuttle to Alamo, where I picked up my trusty rental car for under $300 for the week. (Pro tip: Skip the extra insurance if your credit card covers it. I used my American Express.) After a smooth but slow drive to Playa Grande (thanks to Costa Rica’s low speed limits and twisty roads), I checked into The Pipehouse, a quirky hostel with cozy vibes.
Dinner was at Sugaree’s Bar and Grill at The Grateful Hotel, where I found good food and even better company. They had a Grateful Dead cover band scheduled for the weekend, which seemed to be the unofficial theme of my trip: laid-back and full of surprises.
Day 2: Waves, Jellyfish, and Parking Lot Chicken
The plan for the day? Surfing lessons. The reality? The surf instructor stood me up. Welcome to island time! After shaking off the disappointment with a hearty hostel breakfast (rice, beans, eggs, and fruit), I took a long walk along the beach to Tamarindo. A short boat shuttle ($2) across a waterway brought me to town, where I indulged in a $30 beachside massage.
The massage was great until I checked the receipt and realized they'd added an unapproved "bonus fee." After some back-and-forth, I got most of my money back and chalked it up to a lesson learned. For lunch, I grabbed chicken grilled by a lady in a parking lot, and let me tell you, it was the culinary highlight of the day. Michelin stars be damned.
Back at The Pipehouse, I finally got my surf lesson from the hostel’s owner. All went well until a jellyfish decided I needed an extra thrill. My evening ended on a high note with a turtle nesting tour, where I watched a turtle lay her eggs—a magical experience that made up for the day’s earlier hiccups.
Day 3: Waterfalls and Tubing Adventures
After breakfast, I set out for La Leona Waterfall on a tour booked through Offitours. The hike was breathtaking, though high water levels kept us from reaching the main falls. My guide, however, ensured the journey was still worthwhile.
Next up was whitewater river tubing. Being the only guest meant I had two guides all to myself. One even held onto my tube for most of the ride, which was both reassuring and slightly comical.
The evening featured live music at The Grateful Hotel, where the band and crowd made me feel like I’d stumbled into a private party. It also happened to be my birthday, which made the warm vibes and friendly atmosphere all the sweeter.
Day 4: Into the Monteverde Mist
I bid farewell to Playa Grande and hit the road to Monteverde, navigating winding roads and potholes the size of small craters. My destination was Hotel Don Taco, a charming spot just a few blocks from downtown.
That night, I booked a last-minute night tour, which was an unforgettable mix of wildlife and mud. I spotted toucans, a sloth, and even snakes, all while squelching through the muck in shoes that would never recover.
Day 5: Cloud Forest Bliss
The morning began with a guided tour of the Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve, where I encountered wildlife, including a white-lipped peccary (imagine a pig with a personality). After the tour, I ventured solo to the continental divide. It was serene… until I realized I was alone in the middle of a forest with a dying phone battery. Thankfully, I made it back unscathed and with a new appreciation for group hikes.
The afternoon was spent exploring Monteverde’s quaint downtown, with plenty of food and shopping to keep me entertained. I grabbed a lunch a great little soda called, Soda cantón 83
Day 6: Flying Bikes and Volcano Views
I started the day at El Tigre Waterfalls, where I tackled the Bike Zipline. Yes, a zipline where you pedal through the air. It was a surreal combination of awe and terror, especially on the first line, but by the second, I was fully enjoying the breathtaking views.
From there, I drove to La Fortuna and checked into Arenal Waterfall Lodge, my home for the next leg of the journey. The hazy weather obscured the volcano, but the charming town of La Fortuna offered great dinner and shopping options.
Day 7: Canyoneering and Hot Springs
The day started with a bang, literally, as I rappelled down waterfalls on a canyoneering tour with Desafío Adventure Company. It was easily one of the most exhilarating experiences of the trip, and the $20 photo package was worth every penny.
In the afternoon, I finally visited the famous La Fortuna Waterfall. The steps down (and up!) were no joke, but the stunning view made it all worthwhile.
I capped off my last night with a visit to the Las Lagos Hot Springs, where I joined a group of travelers for hours of soaking, water slides, and laughs. Each pool had its own temperature, and we worked our way up to the hottest one. A perfect way to end the trip.
Day 8: Adiós, Costa Rica
After breakfast, I returned my rental car and navigated the small but busy airport with plenty of time to spare. As I waited for my flight, I reflected on the trip: the good, the hilarious, and the occasional hiccup.
Costa Rica had it all. Adventure, beauty, and a few unexpected lessons. Would I do it all again? In a heartbeat. 🌴

Comments
Post a Comment