Solo Travel: What I’ve Learned Along the Way


There’s
a quiet kind of courage that comes with solo travel. You pack your bags, board a plane, and step into the unknown without a hand to hold or someone to double-check the map. It’s liberating, exhilarating and sometimes, it’s really hard.
 

I’ve traveled alone across oceans and through forests, in cities buzzing with life and on quiet trails where it’s just been me, my pack, and the wind. Each trip teaches me something new, not just about the places I go, but about who I am when no one else is around. 

I’d Rather Be Alone Than with Someone Who Can’t Keep Up 

This isn’t about hiking pace or checking items off an itinerary. It’s about energy, intention, and curiosity. I’ve learned that not everyone travels the same way. Some want to relax when I want to explore. Some get overwhelmed by the unknown when I thrive in it. And that’s okay. 

But when I’m out there, soaking up a sunrise hike, asking a local where to find the best street food, or deciding on a whim to change plans, I want to share that space with someone who’s equally present and open. 

And if I don’t find that person? I’m good on my own. I’d rather travel solo than drag someone who isn’t on the same wavelength. 

Be Prepared, Because Being Unprepared Can Be Dangerous 

Solo traveling (and even group adventures) has a way of teaching you lessons the hard way. I’ll never forget summiting Mt. Whitney. I wasn’t alone that day, but one of the people I was hiking with ran out of water and we still had hours to go before reaching a clean water source. 

Thankfully, I had packed a water bottle with a built-in filter. I scooped up snow, and the hot weather melted it inside the bottle. It wasn’t ideal, but it kept us hydrated and safe. 

That moment reminded me: the mountains and the world don’t care how experienced you are or how good your intentions are. Preparation matters. Gear matters. Hydration, snacks, layers, headlamps, a plan, they all matter. And they can be the difference between a great day and a dangerous one. 

Take Precautions, But Don’t Let Fear Write the Story 

Solo travel has taught me to trust myself more than I ever did before. I listen to my instincts. I send my location to my best friend and my itinerary to my family. I check in. I stay alert. 

One hike reminded me just how real that awareness needs to be. I was alone on a trail when I heard rustling and low warning huffs. A bear was just off the trail to my right. I backed up slowly, gave it space, and let it cross. I reminded myself; I was in its home. 

After that, I stuck close to a group for a while. On the way back, I hiked solo again, but I was hyper-alert, every sound amplified in the quiet. 

Caution is necessary but fear doesn’t get to steer. There is a balance. I’m always learning how to walk that line. 

I Limit Alcohol When I Travel Solo 

Another safety boundary I hold is that I rarely drink when I’m traveling solo. Not because I don’t enjoy a cocktail or margarita, but because I never want to put myself in a situation where I can't safely get back to my hotel or car. I also want to feel good the next day. I didn't travel all this way to waste a morning hungover when I could be summitting a mountain or cascading down a 200 ft waterfall.

This isn’t about fear. It’s about intentionality. I’m here to experience, not escape. 

Loneliness Creeps In, Even When You’re Staying Busy 

I’ve filled days with hikes, white water rafting trips, and street market stops and still felt lonely by dinner. Watching people laugh in groups or couples leaning in close over drinks reminds me that I’m solo. That feeling is real. It doesn’t go away just because you’re “living the dream.” 

But I’ve learned to sit with it. Sometimes I write. Sometimes I strike up a conversation with a local or another traveler. Sometimes I cry. Sometimes I just let it be what it is, knowing it won’t last forever. 

The gift of solo travel is that you learn to hold space for both freedom and discomfort. 

A "Wrong" Turn That Was Actually Just Right 

One of my favorite things about solo travel is the space it creates for detours, literal and figurative. I was once driving toward Pike’s Peak when I took what I thought was a wrong turn. I could’ve been frustrated or rushed to get back on course, but something told me to just go with it. 

That “wrong” turn ended up being one of the best moments of the entire trip. I pulled over, stepped out of the car, and found myself staring at a breathtaking mountain view I never would have seen otherwise. There were no crowds, no rush. Just me, the mountains, and the reminder that sometimes, the detour is the destination. 

That moment forced me to slow down, to stop trying to chase the next thing, and to simply take it all in. Not all wrong turns are mistakes. Some are just unexpected invitations to see something new, feel something different, or change your pace. 

Why I Car Camp Whenever I Can 

When I’m road-tripping, I love to car camp. It gives me flexibility, freedom, and a deeper connection to the places I’m traveling through. I’m not tied to a hotel reservation or forced to stay at a crowded campground. If I feel like moving on, I move on. If I find a perfect lakeside pull-off at sunset, I stay. It’s one of the ultimate expressions of solo travel independence. 

Recently, my brother was gifted a camper, and the first time I saw it, my reaction was immediate: We got a camper! He’s even looked into getting a new truck so I can take it on the road next summer. 

Initiate Summer 2026 road trip planning. The adventure continues with maybe a few more comforts this time. 

Why I Travel Alone 

People always ask me why I choose to travel alone. And my answer is simple: If I waited for someone else, I’d never go. 

I still love traveling with others when it works. But I’ll never wait for someone else to be ready. The world is too big, and time is too precious. I’ve learned to take the trip, even if it’s solo, especially if it’s solo. 

So, if you are thinking about traveling solo, do it. Not because it’s always fun or easy, but because it will teach you more about yourself than almost anything else. And you just might find that the best travel partner you’ve been waiting for… is you. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Than a Season

Why I Started Adventure Traveling

Yellow Days: How to Feel Warm, Sunny, and Alive